Hello and Welcome to Team Blaine's WFR Page!
Blaine Memorial UMC has a very special connection to the Walk for Rice because in 1990, Herb and Bertha Tsuchiya, and (Blaine’s very own) Sam Mitsui, wanted to create a way everyone could help feed the community. The first ever Walk for Rice raised $2,500 with 45 walkers.
Sadly, Sam Mitsui passed away in March 2019, so this year Team Blaine will walk as "Sam's Team" to honor Sam's memory and his contribution in co-founding the Walk For Rice 29 years ago. We will have special "Sam's Team" Walk for Rice T-shirts available to purchase. When you register for Team Blaine, I will contact walkers directly with details; T-shirt orders will be due by June 12th.
Team Blaine has a goal of raising $5,000, enough to allow ACRS to buy over 2,700 pounds of rice. We raised over $5,000 the last two years, and I know we can do it again this year!
Here are some facts to explain why ACRS needs our help:
• 1,009,224 pounds. The ACRS Food Bank is one of the busiest food banks in King County, distributing more than 1 million pounds of food in 2018.
• 5,230 clients relied on the Food Bank's nutritious food staples and groceries in 2018. Because so many clients are repeat visitors, ACRS also receives the most total visits out of any food bank in Puget Sound.
• 700 sq. feet: ACRS does all this despite having one of the smallest facilities – a portable construction trailer on King Street, under the I-5 bridge.
• 57%: More than half of the ACRS Food Bank clients are children under the age of 18 or seniors over 65.
• Low or Very Low Income: The vast majority of people served by the ACRS Food Bank and ACRS's nutrition programs qualify as "Low" or "Very Low" income according to HUD guidelines.
• $2.8 million: The amount of money Walk for Rice has raised for the ACRS Food Bank and our nutrition programs over 28 years. Proceeds allow ACRS to buy rice, tofu, fresh fruit, vegetables, proteins and other foods for clients.
EACH BAG OF RICE, EACH DOLLAR, AND EACH PERSON EDUCATED ABOUT THE IMPACT OF HUNGER IS A STEP TOWARDS ENDING IT.
Please support Team Blaine by registering to join us on June 22nd as a walker and/or by making a donation to our Team Blaine page - every dollar counts!
Justine Ing, Team Blaine Captain